Students will receive a 50 percent discount on all UberX rides
Uber announced in April a partnership with University of Florida (UF) Student Government (SG) to establish a long-term “Safe Rides” program, following the success of the most recent pilot program that ran from September 23, 2015 to December 18, 2015 on campus. Beginning Wednesday, April 12, 2017, UF students will receive a 50 percent discount on all UberX rides beginning and ending within the outlined campus area ( see map below).
“One of our top priorities is enhancing mobility options when traditional transportation services are not available,” said Luke Marklin, Uber Florida General Manager. “Whether students are headed home from a night of studying or a late night out, the Safe Rides program reassures students that they can always get home safely. Uber is proud to continue working with the UF SG to increase access to reliable transportation options throughout campus.”
“Collaborating with Uber on a long-term Safe Rides program will help us connect even more Gators with dependable choices. We wanted to provide students with a safe, affordable and door to door option and we are proud to have partnered with Uber to make this program a reality for all students,” said Susan Webster, UF Student Body President.
How UF’s Safe Rides program works:
- Wednesday through Sunday between 9 p.m. until 3 a.m., UF students can request an UberX ride.
- During the designated times, UberX rides beginning and ending in the designated campus area will receive a 50 percent discount on UberX trips.
- Students will receive a unique promotional code through the UF student portal. Promo codes will enable a discount during eligible times for rides on UberX.
Uber safety rules to keep in mind:
- Know Your Uber: There will be multiple people requesting rides during the program times, so make sure you get into the right car with the right driver. Double check your driver’s car model, license plate, and photo in the app before getting in the car. Uber rides can only be requested through the app, so never accept solicitations from those claiming to be Uber.
- Share Your Trip Details: Need to let friends, family or your group know when you’ll arrive? Share your trip details with them from the app so they know where you are in real time and when you’ve safely arrived at your destination.
- Contact Support: You can contact your driver directly in the app to track down a lost item. Or contact the Help Center for all other issues. Trust your instincts and be aware of your surroundings. For emergencies always call 911.
- Be Kind and Respectful: Please be considerate of your driver. Respect their vehicle and follow our Community Guidelines so that everyone can enjoy the ride.
For more information on the UF Safe Rides Program, visit www.uber.com/info/uf-safe-rides/.