The Alachua County Commission approved a tax rebate Tuesday as an incentive to attract Mobiquity. The Gainesville City Commission will consider the incentive package Jan. 17, says Edgar Palafox, the county’s economic development coordinator.
Mobiquity is considering doing its expansion in Massachusetts as well as offers from communities in Colorado, Washington, Nebraska and Rhode Island, Palafox says.
“This it the type of company that Innovation Gainesville is pursuing,” Palafox says. “If Mobiquity chooses Gainesville, the move will add to the momentum we have in creating jobs.”
Mobiquity, which specializes in mobile apps, has been growing rapidly since it went into business18 months ago. It has more than 150 employees and generates $20 million in revenue annually, Palafox says.
The proposed financial incentives through the state’s Qualified Target Industry incentive program would require the county and the city to provide a total of $208,000 in tax rebates over four years. The local commitment would total 20 percent of the incentive, and the state would provide the remaining 80 percent.