Students who will be entering high school next year, along with their families, are invited to learn more about the district’s wide variety of career academies by attending this year’s Career Academy Showcase.
The annual event, which usually draws well over 700 people, will be held Thursday, November 17 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Eastside High School in Gainesville (1201 SE 43rd St). Current eighth-graders and their families will be able to view displays, demonstrations and talk to teachers and current students from each of the district’s career academies, including the new Academy of Media Technology Production at PAM@Loften High.
About 1600 Alachua County high school students are currently enrolled in the career academies, which offer a rigorous curriculum in a wide range of fields, including health care, law enforcement, culinary arts and biotechnology. Students in the programs have access to internships and many will graduate from high school with certification in their chosen fields, making them much more marketable when it’s time to look for a job. Students can also earn college credits and scholarships while attending the academies.
Individual career academies will be holding open houses in January to allow students and families to get a first-hand look at their facilities and programs. A schedule of those open houses is available on the district’s website at www.sbac.edu. More information is also available through the district’s Career and Technical Education office at (352) 955-6847 or sbac.edu/cte
The district’s career-tech academies are:
- Academy of Agribusiness (Hawthorne High School)
- Academy of Agriscience (Santa Fe High School)
- Academy of Automotive Technology (Professional Academies Magnet @ Loften High School)
- Institute of Biotechnology (Santa Fe High)
- Academy of Criminal Justice (Newberry High School)
- Institute of Culinary Arts (Eastside High School)
- Academy of Entrepreneurship (Buchholz High School)
- Academy of Finance (Buchholz High)
- Academy of Fire and Emergency Medical Services (PAM@ Loften)
- Academy of Future Teachers (Gainesville High School)
- Academy of Gaming and Mobile Apps (PAM@Loften)
- Institute of Graphic Art and Design (PAM@Loften)
- Academy of Health Professions (Gainesville High)
- Academy of Robotics and Engineering (PAM@Loften)
- Academy of Veterinary Assisting (Santa Fe High School)
- Academy of Media Production Technology (PAM@Loften)