November is recognized as National Hunger Month in America. In 2008, a Strike Out Hunger community-wide food drive was held to benefit the Alachua county food bank and pantries. Since then, the awareness events have grown with the collaboration of groups throughout our area.
The Long Foundation, Inc., The Martin Luther King, Jr, Commission of Florida, Inc., City of Gainesville, Alachua County Government, Representative Clovis Watson, Jr. , FarmShare, UF Health, Gainesville Regional Utilities, Gainesville Area Chamber of Commerce, Dollar General, North Florida Regional Hospital, Publix Supermarket Charities, Bread of The Mighty Food Bank and over 125 community partners including corporate, government, civic, business, and faith organizations are pleased to present; 2019 Strike Out Hunger Week including our Food Drive, Farmshare Food Giveaway and Thanksgiving Basket Giveaway Program. The events will be held at the Alachua County Fairgrounds Monday, November 11th through Thursday, November 14th
How can I, my Business, Educa-tional or Governmental Institu-tions, Church or Civic Groups Get Involved?
1) Appoint an Ambassador to coordi-nate your organizations efforts to help us achieve our goal of collecting non-perishable food items for our food banks and pantries.
2) Contact us to get your collection boxes and deliver the collected items to the Alachua County Fair-grounds on Monday, November 11th between 8:00 am and 7:00 pm
3) Provide a monetary contribution to assist in the purchase of turkeys and other items for the Thanksgiv-ing Baskets for needy families in Alachua County.
What are the dates of Strike Out Hunger Week?
Monday, November 11th Community Drop off Food Day at the Alachua County Fairgrounds (8am-7pm)
Wednesday, November 13th, Distribution of Food to Food Banks and Pantries and free food giveaway by FarmShare and Rep. Clovis Watson, Jr. at the Alachua County Fairgrounds
Thursday, November 14th: Distribution of Thanksgiving Baskets to needy Families at the Alachua County Fairgrounds.
In 2018, Strike Out Hunger Week had the following outcomes:
- Nearly 130 organizations participated in the Strike out Hunger Week: Food Drive, Farmshare Food Giveaway, Food Banks and Pantries Food Giveaway and Thanksgiving Basket Giveaway Program.
- 210 volunteers donated an average of 4 hours towards Strike Out Hunger Week.
- Over 1,500 families averaging five (5) members per household totaling 8,200 individuals received Thanksgiving Baskets with turkeys and other non-perishable food items.
- 1069 Families were served through the Alachua County School District Partnership totaling nearly 64,140 pounds of non-perishable food items.
- Over 22,000 pounds of turkeys and hams were distributed to needy families.
- Nearly 26,000 pounds of perishable food items impacting 342 families totaling nearly 1,023 individuals were donated by FarmShare and distributed to needy families.
- Nearly 176,000 pounds of non-perishable and perishable food items were collected and distributed through the Strike Out Hunger Food Drive, FarmShare Food Giveaway, Alachua County School District, collection of nonperishable food items sponsored by other organizations and delivered directly to food banks, pantries or back pack programs.
The Strike Out Hunger Food Drive drop-off dates are Monday, November 11th and Tuesday, November 12th from 8:00 am – 7:00 pm. The Farmshare Food Giveaway will be held on Wednesday, November 13th from 12 noon – 3:00 pm. No preregistration is needed. The Thanksgiving Basket Giveaway is Thursday, November 14th from 12 noon – 6:00 pm. Seniors and disabled citizens with preregistration vouchers will receive a basket with a turkey from 12 noon – 2:00 pm. The general public with preregistration vouchers will receive a basket with a turkey from 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm. After 6:00 p.m., the general public without vouchers will receive turkeys only as long as they last. Volunteers are needed and can sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a084daeab2aaafb6-2019. For more information on Strike Out Hunger Week, please contact Rodney Long at 352-371-4566.